Monday, April 03, 2006

Where the day began...
...Heart Lake
...Algonquin Mountain
Lake Placid, New York

Where it ended...
...Red Lion Inn - from in front of Alice's Restaurant
Stockbridge, Massachusetts

The Daily bLog
Another stupendous day - start to finish.

Didn't sleep much last night. Hard single mattresses with slippery covers and I don't work well together. That is life in one of the bunks at the ADK Loj in Lake Placid. Instead of pining away the interminable hours of sleeplessness, I popped open my laptop and was on the internet. In the twenty years I've been going to the Loj, this is a BIG first for ADK. I propped myself up in my berth on three pillows and read about Garry Winogrand, a famous NYC street photographer. This is the best of all worlds!

I drove home from Lake Placid, making some of my usual stops along the way. Lower Cascade Lake and Chapel Pond are old favorites for pictures and the Mountaineer in Keene is a favorite for hiking gear. Since I have two lifetimes worth of the latter, I simply peruse the merchandise rather than buy it.

Upon my return home in Pittsfield, I decided to take a few rolls of developed film over to Wal-Mart for scanning and printing. While waiting for the pictures, I went over to Starbucks for some coffee and met a woman named Peggy who was riding her K650 BMW. She was outfitted in typical BMW rider apparel which is much different (and FAR more effective in a crash) than much of the leather stuff so many motorcyclists prefer. BMW riders are a breed apart from the rest and safety, weather protection and comfort are most important for the long hours they spend in the saddle. We chatted for about ten minutes and, unable to contain myself, jumped on my bike the minute I got home!

The BMW roared to life after sleeping for the winter. I got suited up and off I went. By the time I got back home, I had logged 35 miles, travelling all over South County (Berkshire). I did it. MG didn't stop me and it didn't even get in the way in the slightest. Never felt so good as I did when I dismounted tonight. I had almost forgotten how smooth, powerful and nimble my beautiful Beemer is and how wonderful it makes me feel.