Monday, April 10, 2006

Brattleboro, Vermont

Sugar House, Route 100 - Southern Vermont

Evaporator Making Syrup - Vermont

The Daily bLog

Photography and maple milkshakes.

Oh, what a glorious day. With an opportunity to get out for an early spring ride on a glorious day, I pointed my BMW northeast to Brattleboro, Vermont, about 75 miles from home, to visit the Vermont Center for Photography. The day was cool, but with my heavy armored gear and Turtle Fleece neck gaitor, I remained comfortably warm behind the fairing of my bike. The BMW also has heat ducts and electric grips, so unless the weather is below zero, comfort isn't a problem.

The first stop in Brattleboro, the Vermont Center for Photography, was a great choice. The photography - nudes in nature - while not my genre, showed vision and talent and was well printed and displayed. Afterwards, I went to the local coffee house and had a biscotti and coffee for $1.93!

I took my time riding home through the hills and woods of southern Vermont as life showed signs of springing forth after a cold winter. Many of the lakes were still mostly frozen and there was still ice in the woods but the sweet smell of boiling maple syrup filled the air for miles. Vats were still filling with sap from the trees and the sugar houses were evaporating full tilt. Tomorrow is the last day of the season so I'm glad I stopped at one sugar house and bought some fresh maple syrup. For dessert, I had a maple milkshake.

Forget about MG. I had a successful 149 mile ride and a wonderful day, trying to put my mind on why we live.