Thursday, April 06, 2006

Out and About in Lanesborough, Massachusetts
Photo Op Courtesy of Pegasus the BMW
c 2006 Curt Miller


The Daily bLog
Outsmarting gremlins.

Myasthenia gravis is clever and is cruel. Wrestling gravis to the ground is about using street smarts and intellect. It is not about holistic medicine, meditation or macrobiotics...not by themselves, anyway. But, I have come to appreciate the use of alternative theories to boost my immunue system and my spirit in the challenge against this disease. My prednisone and CellCept (the wonder drug for transplant patients and for off-label use for suppressing MG antibodies) have come into their own during the past couple of weeks and have reduced the level of antibodies in my bloodstream. How do I know? Well, it's been 11 days since my last plasma exchange and I grow stronger by the day. I've had seven phereses since January and never gone past seven or eight days before my symptoms grew worse and I needed another round. Not so this time. Thank God for medical miracles...and motorcycles.