Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Morning Bus - Albany, New York
c 2006 Curt Miller

Evening Bus - Albany, New York
c 2006 Curt Miller

The Daily bLog
I'm gonna buy me a bus. Then I can pick up all my friends and we can go on long journeys through the Adirondacks. I'll have Tom O, our main man at the Adirondak Loj, outfit the thing with bunks, put in a cookstove and we're set for the road. Crazy? Just imagine the attention I'd draw with one of these things in my driveway...especially the one with the Simpsons plastered all over the sides. Just Bart.

Plasmapheresis today. Getting good at this stuff. Veins worked great: no collapse, no "blowouts." I was re-hydrated after all my efforts of the past week and the nurses were pleased. Three hours ten minutes, start to finish. My hematologist, Dr. Taft, said "every ten days." Every ten days it is. The results are astounding. After the pheresis, he came back with a third year med student in tow, telling her about myasthenia gravis and the difficulties with diagnosis and treatment. He told her that in the old days they couldn't diagnose it and because it usually presented swallowing difficulties first, after the third visit to the ER, the patient was usually put on the psych ward. Oh, the stuff I learn from old Doc Taft. I'm usually leaving in stitches.

Back to work. Only six hours today. Most myasthenics in my shape seem to like to stay at home. Nurse Jane and I discussed this today. she said it's all "attitude." And I got attitude. Yee-hah!

Gonna get me a bus.