Thursday, March 23, 2006


The Candy Store - Guilderland, New York
c 2006 Curt Miller

The Daily bLog
Needed a fix. When I was a kid growing up in New York City, I, like every other 50s kid, was addicted to baseball cards, bubble gum and ice cream. The place in my neighborhood was Myer's, up around the corner from us, on Metropolitan Avenue. I remember when my uncle came to visit me from Newfoundland, as a bachelor in a wheelchair, he was among the unsuspecting and uninitiated with regard to the needs of a city kid. Fresh meat. Ahhh, I thought, I'll wheel him on up to Myer's and trick him into buying me some stuff. Needless to say, naive in the ways of city kids or not, he caught on to the ruse really quickly. One bite of the apple is all I got.

Today, every camera store in the continental U.S. is a target for my sweet tooth. I never know what goodies might lie behind the next counter. Today I picked up some new inkjet paper to try out and, so far, so good.

I was playing around with my meds a bit today to see if I could tweak my Mestinon (the MG sufferer's insulin) and I did seem to be able to gain a little extra benefit by increasing my blood level a bit with my lifesaving pyridostigmine. I was able to speak a little longer and eat a little better. Only two days until my next pheresis.