Sunday, March 19, 2006


The Altar at Chapel Pond - Silver and Inkjet
C 2006 Curt Miller

The Daily bLog
Success! I have finally achieved an inkjet print from my Epson 2000P printer that faithfully represents a gelatin silver print from the darkroom. This is an enormous leap in my quest to achieve maximum quality in my black and white photography. Side-by-side, the pictures are slightly different, mostly because of surface texture and paper color but, aside from that, they are dead ringers for one another. A major benefit of this type of print output is that the 100th print is identical to the first. The prints are much easier to make than in the chemical darkroom (though require just as much skill to get the first one right. The Epson print is just as archival as the silver print. I do need to start with a "perfect" print from the enlarger. I scan the print on a good flatbed scanner and bring the image into Photoshop where I can then further adjust the print for tonal range, spotting, burning, dodging and sharpening.

Today was sunny and cold here in New England. I made the best of it by enjoying "Saturday stuff" and playing in my darkrooms.