Sunday, March 12, 2006

Adirondack Mountain Club Board of Directors Meeting, March 11, 2006
c 2006 Curt Miller

The Daily bLog

A busy day doing all the things I love to do. The Adirondack Mountain Club is such an important part of my life. The mission. The people. The issues. Wilderness. Tranquility.

Today was the first board of directors meeting of my presidency of my beloved ADK. The picture above is my view of the group. The faces are of friends new and old, voices of the wilderness and for the wilderness. Some times we disagree on issues, sometimes there is unanimity. Overall, there is little "partisan fractionalism," as we political science-types like to call it, but in the end there is usually concensus and always collegiality.

The early days in my tenure are marked by my difficulties speaking. I find it nothing short of remarkable that people from every corner of the organization come to my side to assist me, not the least of whom are our beloved administrative assistant, Virginia, and my most loyal associate vice president, Jack Freeman. Virginia and Jack made the day possible for me. Virginia attends to every detail: notes, agendae, food...you name it, she does it. Jack was my voice for the entire day, picking up on my notes and being parliamentarian whenever I was unable to do so. The evening event was our annual Presiden't Dinner at the Queensbury Hotel in Glens Falls. This important awards ceremony could have been a real disaster for me but for the spirited and most eloquent dissertation of my speeches by Jack. I love him. I love them all.