Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Verizon Building - Albany, New York
c 2006 Curt Miller

The Daily bLog
Ah, another Tuesday. Home by 6:30 and no obligations, no meeting...just me and the warmth of my house. Comforts.

I've been fighting a cold for a couple of days now but just like with my myasthenia, I determine to stay on top with medication. Rest. Peaceful surroundings and no conflict. I must say how lucky I feel to be able to get up every morning and go to work at a job I love. Work is work, no getting around it, but between my wonderful co-workers and my friends (who include my co-workers), I can get by.

I continue to learn that life is far too short not to seek balance. Daily. Say something nice to someone and feel good. Do something positive and it comes back to you.

I've been working more or less full time since 1968, when I got my first job at Ramapo Hospital in Spring Valley schlepping hospital supplies, bedpans and corpses. Yes, and the undertakers - the generous ones anyway - would give me a buck or two to help get the body into the hearse. Not bad for 1968, considering my wage was $1.67 1/2 per hour, and minimum was $1.60. Dead people. Shootings. Knifings. LSD overdosings. New life: babies. New hope: wounds sutured, bones set. Anyway, I digress. I became accustomed to listening to bitching. The boss is an asshole, his wife is a slut; the head nurse on 4th days can't pass a catheter; "Shhhhhhhhhhhh! - Thompson, the night orderly on 3rd likes men!" Ad infinitum.

Dear reader, life is too short. Precious. Trust me. Love.