Saturday, August 26, 2006

Multimedia message


Lubed, waxed and ready to roll!


Whenever I buy a used vehicle (which is infrequently, since I don't want someone else's problem), I always change all the fluids, filters and clean and inspect the machine. Today was Pegasus' turn. I did all the research on-line for doing the work, purchased all the lubes, special tools and filter and tore into the bike this morning. It's a great way to really get into the machine to learn it, clean it and to inspect it for any sign of trouble. Pegasus is in beautiful condition, top to bottom. And, oh, that magnificent German engineering is such a pleasure on which to work!

It's also very satisfying to wrench a new machine with the very same tools - SK socket set and torque wrench - I've owned for 35 years, and with which I worked on the very first car I ever owned, my precious 1970 Fiat Spider. A good torque wrench lasts a lifetime.


Next comes coolant, air filter, brake pads and brake fluid.