Sunday, August 06, 2006

Multimedia message

In Jamaica, VT

I stopped in this little coffee house along Route 100 in southern Vermont this afternoon, on my way home after a wonderful weekend with son Chris and girlfriend Robia at her family's annual reunion.

Last night about 30 of us either camped in tents or slept in a camp the family rented on the Great Sacandaga Lake. We arrived at the camp at about 9pm and everyone pitched in to set up tents, get a bar-b-que going and cook diiner.

I left Edinberg at about 10:20 this morning, pointing Orion northest to Rutland, Vermont. I took my time, enjoying lots of stops along the way. For the first time of my half-dozen or so through Weston, I stopped at the historical society's grist mill/tinsmith and stayed -mesmerized- for nearly and hours as the hosts explained life, business and the trades in the rural Vermont of the early 1800s. From there, I travelled all of 100 yards to The Vermont Country Store. I actually needed directions to find the place - a mere 20,000 to 30,000 square foot facility in the middle of the village - because it is so well hidden,probobly owing to Vermont's strict zoning and no-billboard laws. The place was an easy hour of the afternoon's jaunt. I picked up a few little items, including a Hohner "Weekender" harmonica.

From Weston, I travelled south along beautiful Route 100 until I stopped in Jamaica to make the last pictures - and memories - of a great weekend.