Monday, January 30, 2006

Monday, January 30, 2006

The Daily bLog
A new chapter in the treatment of my disease, myasthenia gravis, begins tomorrow. With symptoms thus far unabated, my neurologist has doubled my dosage of Lexapro (for anxiety) to help me cope better with future uncertainty. To help insure remission of symptoms by spring - as he assured me would happen - he has me starting on a regimen of 10mg of prednisone twice a day, every other day, as a boost and adjunct to the immunosuppressant drug CellCept that I've been on for 10 weeks.

My recent symptoms have included droopy eyelids, a neck sometimes so weak it can't support my head, weak arms and hands, inability to chew and swallow and occasional double vision. And, do you know what? I'm just as likely to laugh at myself. My own body serves as a constant reminder about how truly precious life is, and how important to savor each moment and to cherish the people we love.

The picture above is titled "Bad News" and was made in Oneonta, New York sometime in the 1990s. © 2006 Curt Miller